In recent years, there have been many retrofit pilot projects which have demonstrated that larger scale retrofit projects have greater scope for client side technical risks and unintended consequences. These include poor quality delivery and construction, sub-optimal energy performance, and post-construction problems such as poor air quality, condensation and mould. These risks can materialise and trigger extremely high mitigation costs to landlords, including administration time for managing tenant complaints, remediation works, and even potential decanting and litigation. Six Cylinder specialises in technical risk management of domestic retrofits, to help reduce the likelihood and severity of unintended consequences (mould, interstitial condensation, overheating, and energy-saving underperformance).
We provide an initial high-level risk-assessment of a planned retrofit, including:
- the scoring of risks (both the individual measures, and the combinations of measures as well as the overall project risk),
- management and mitigation recommendations, including watch-points of key things the project team will want to ensure are inherent in their contracts and project strategy,
- illustrated fact-sheets of key risks the project is likely to encounter,
This service provides a comprehensive initial support to project managers of large-scale domestic retrofits to help manage the project to address and resolve unintended consequences before they become inherent in the project.
Six Cylinder can provide further support in managing the technical risks of retrofits, including:
- Stakeholder workshops on technical risks in retrofit to explain the risks and how they occur,
- Periodic project reviews and risk re-assessments,
- Ventilation assessments,
- Construction detail reviews,
- Specification reviews,
- Toolbox talks,
- Handover support & Resident user guides,
- Post-occupancy evaluation & post-construction quality checks
Lisa Pasquale holds a CoRE Diploma with a specialism in Retrofit Coordination, which is a recognised occupational standard by the RIBA. She was distinguished as the first woman in the UK to receive the qualification.